Saturday, July 28, 2007

Trip to the city


Today we took an all-girls trip to Philly. The 4 of us girls are related by marriage- our husbands are all cousins. I moved from CA, E from Idaho- then DC, N came from Iowa, and D is from northern Jersey. Now we live less than an hour apart (D lives next door), and we see each other at least once a week. I am so thankful for their friendship. They are amazing women that are fun to hang out with and interesting to talk to. We have spent time with each other in pairs on many occasions, but this is the first time all 4 of us went out together.

D used to live and work in Philly so she knew her way around really well. We took the train in, and our first stop was to an upscale boutique that she used to work at. Whew~ I was breathing air over my price range, but I politely sipped my champagne and munched on my biscotti and watched everyone else ooo and aah over things. We finally found the 'pricey' dresses upstairs and I saw this hat that seemed to be shouting my name. Had the price not been so close to a mortgage payment, I would have been tempted. So, we settled for trying things on and prancing around. Then we wandered around and did a little shopping, before settling into a quaint sidewalk cafe named Rouge overlooking Rittenhouse Square. The food was delicious, and the experience... positively divine. Before calling it a day we took a taxi over to Fabric Row off South St. Keren you would have loved it! It's just like LA except it's much smaller. I even found a shop that sells feathers and silk flowers! Nothing near the Millinery Supply store, but enough to get me by. What fun we had walking the streets, talking, laughing and having an all around good time just being girls.


5 comments:

Kedge said...

I started smiling before I was even halfway through your post! I was enjoying it with you, all the way to the end. Not quite as good as being there, but almost!
It was nice to see a picture of Mrs. Brian...the girl who stole my Jersey sweetheart from Lassen.

The Chatty Housewife said...

What a fabulous hat.

familymclean said...

Loooove the hats, could picture a few in your collection!(at a much more reasonable price)whew!!!

Rebekah said...

Looks like a fun day. Great to have in-laws like that. The hat looks like my kids art project :)

Anonymous said...

My first job out of college was for Ware Bros. Publishers at the South West corner of 19th and Chestnut. I moved on to Events Publishing in the lower rent district of 2nd and Walnut. I passed by Independence Square twice a day on the trolley-bus, yet never went in until I took my kids back in the early 60's

I love that hat too!