Friday, August 31, 2007

Small Fry


I finally got my tank set up after all these months! It's been up for about 3 weeks and my casualty rate is about 25%. Freshwater fish are a lot cheaper so it's not so bad. Apparently, our city adds a lot of phosphate to our water supply so it is reeking havoc on the pH and other stuff I obviously don't understand. I have been taking water samples to Petsmart every other day to get tested because I don't trust my wimpy little test strips. After a week of topsy-turvy chem tests I finally got them leveled out, but my water will be cloudy for another few days. So, I brought home 5 new fish on Thursday! Two of which are the black mollies. On Friday, I noticed tiny black baby fish! Wahoo! How fun is this?! Because I have larger rocks on the bottom, they are able to hid in the crevasses, under the larger rock, and in the little sunken ship. I am tickled pink! My husband...not so much. He does get upset when they die though. Recently, however, he took pleasure in flushing 2 trouble-makers that were biting chunks out of the other fish. I know I have been a delinquent blogger... but you know... life happens.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad you found all the pieces and are getting the details ironed out. These freshwaters look real pretty.

Anonymous said...

Hey that's great to see the tank up and running again. Looks pretty. Glad you have some fish with character, it's more fun even if some are a little bad! Do they have freshwater fish that like to be architects like the gobbies? They were sure fun to watch.

familymclean said...

I have missed you!
Your tank looks great! We went through the same deal with adaptation when we moved here too and since the PH was so high Dave adds conditioners to help lower it.
Oh,we also happily flushed a few meanies too.
We lost about 50% of our first batch...and only found a few, must have gotten eaten or something.

Anyway...hope you are settling alright.

HotRodHanna said...

No distinctive personalities so far, Mom. I'm hoping though! The babies are fun to watch! The Creamsicle Mollies are quite intereactive too, they come up to the glass when you step close to it.

Wadical said...

After having failed to keep plants alive, I remember, about 15 years ago, my wife and I decided to try a fish tank before taking on the responsibility of having children. The idea being that if we couldn't keep fish alive, perhaps we shouldn't breed....we failed miserably with the fish.

Apparently, you must drain the water and wash the poop off the rocks. The sucker fish we bought (for that purpose) just couldn't keep up with the poop that all the other fish was putting out and washing the poopy rocks was too disgusting and smelly for me so.....I didn't and...they died.

We had children anyway and suddenly washing poopy fish tank rocks didn't seem all that bad!

The Chatty Housewife said...

Oh cool! We would love a tank, but go away too often to keep one. Maybe once we have kids we will get a tank of those fat goldfish with the huge tails, and a boxer puppy.