Tuesday, July 10, 2007

What to do?

Ok. The 'summer' job I had been promised before I left on my trip didn't work out. So... what to do with myself? My cousin-in-law that lives next door has given me and idea. She makes beautiful jewelry and sells it at a open market/swap meet setting in PA. I could make stuff! I been trying to come up with ideas for things that will be able to turn a profit.

I don't have a lot of confidence in the marketability of my cards and I don't think that I can make enough money on them to make it worth my while. It's a 3 hour drive and $25 to rent the table/space. The customers there are anything from people looking for car bumpers to those with $200 in their pocket looking for a unique 'find'. What about quilts? If I keep them really simple, stick to soft baby quilts, would I be able to make enough of them fast enough? How much do you sell a handmade baby quilt for? What about my cross stitch? I can use waste canvas and put little designs on onesies or little hats. I can do towels and bread cloths. Those don't take too long to make. With those fancy embroidery sewing machines out there, would people actually buy cross-stitched ones? Ug. Any ideas out there?

My cousin-in-law makes beautiful jewelry! She has taken orders for weddings too. Here is her website: Otis B Fine Jewelry

3 comments:

The Chatty Housewife said...

That jewelry really is nice. I like it. I think your baby quilts would sell, but I don't know anything about sales or pricing!

familymclean said...

I have a link on my sidebar to my friends quilting blog- http://annsquilting.blogspot.com/, she might have an idea of prices if you asked her. I love the idea, but think that table runners, coasters, placemats and pot holders would probably sell well too, jsut since it would give a better price range and you could whip out a pile quickly. I love some of the placemats Ann made half way down in her June archives, and even though I am not hugely into quilts I would totally buy some of those!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo!!!!! Can't wait for dinner tonight, mmmmmmmmmmm!!
Love,
your next door neighbor ;o)