Monday, July 23, 2007

Six Months

I can hardly believe it, but Friday was our 6 month anniversary! Wow. Time flies by. I hate to admit I really had no idea, until a bouquet of roses was delivered to the house. Hubby had said he wanted to take me out to our favorite restaurant after his soccer game, but I didn't put 2 and 2 together. He can be so incredibly sweet! It was a nice surprise. Why is it that no one tells you how hard marriage is BEFORE you get married? Everyone tells you how great it is, and how nice it is to spend your life with someone. But they leave out that you lose a little part of yourself, life is a constant compromise, you can't just do whatever you want -your actions involve someone else too now, you disagree often, you have to share your toothpaste, you have to re-learn how to make sandwiches, (in some cases) you have to cope with not being able to see your family on a regular basis, and you are tired ALL the time. Yes, there are many positives, and Hubby's incredible sense of humor has helped a lot, but really people.... do your friends a favor and tell them marriage is HARD WORK and to be taken seriously. It's not just something you do just because you like someone and you think that it's the obvious 'next step' in your life. I love being married to this wonderful man, but marriage takes daily maintenance.

7 comments:

Mary said...

Yeah, I guess we forget to tell people that part or else we just don't want to admit it. I forget about the tired part! I remember my hubby and I would always take naps on Sunday afternoons and sometimes we would sleep so long we would wake up and realize we had missed gospel. I was just remembering that the other day and I was wondering why we were so tired when we didn't even have any kids yet! Now, we just enjoy the peace and quite while our kids take naps.

familymclean said...

Yup, marriage can even suck sometimes! You can get hurt so easily because you love sooo much. It is a constant battle. We've been together for 7 1/2 years and married 4yrs (in a month) and I thought we would have each other figured out by now and just have lovey feelings, bah, nope! We are both hot headed and end up snapping at each other easily, then we both have selfish tendancies and expect each other to read each others minds. When will we ever learn!
I see couples that seem to have it all figured out and wish we could be like that, but that is not my reality! We are both too passionate and emotional.
All said marriage is hard, but rewarding and in the end totally worth every little scrap and compromise. Plus we got two cute kids out of the deal!

The Chatty Housewife said...

Congratulations on your 6th month anniversary! Marriage needs a lot of commitment, patience, selflessness and of course love. It's not easy, but I sure wouldn't want to go back to being single.

Rebekah said...

Congratulation on the 6 months. Yes, marriage is hard, especially starting out. But one day you will realize that you have actually melded into 'one' and it will feel so fantastic. Not that there still wont be difficult times, but with each battle (so to speak) you will be closer.

Anonymous said...

We don't share toothpaste, we each have our own tube.

SAJ said...

Did I forget to tell you that? Sorry. Well, here's some advice for the future: It's still hard! And having kids is EVEN HARDER. But really really fun too so you should totally do it. Just don't say I didn't warn you.

Raylori said...

So Sorry sister-in-law, marriage is alot of work, but also so worth it. Some days I wonder to myself why I ever married and had kids. :)But then I look at how sexy and handsome my husband is, and how so adorable my boys are and know that I wounldn't change it for the world. I guess the reason friends don't tell friends that marriage it had, is because they don't want to scare them into not getting married. Being married is much better then being alone.