Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Not for the faint hearted!

On this last trip, I stayed with my cousin Shelly in Maryland. Her husband is a hunter. His trophy's have been relegated to what is fondly refered to as the 'dead animal room' in the basement. It was quite impressive. Don't get me wrong, I love animals! I have had more pets in my life than I can remember. But I am not against hunting. Bottom line, God created man to be over the animals. They are created for our enjoyment, and for our use, but that power shouldn't be abused to the point of driving a species to extinction. Joe explained that there are always strick rules about which animals they can shoot, where, how many etc. He has a couple world records in this room, and they are beautiful specimens. I can't remember the names to all of them, but there is a Cape Buffalo from Africa, and the large white one is from Alaska. He has some really great stories to go with each one too! And, NO those aren't baby deer, they are full grown. These animals were fascinatingly beautiful, and I have a whole new perspective on hunting. I still hate guns, (sorry wadical!) but I can see why people would like to hunt. Agreed, ideally they should be seen in the wild, but hunting keeps the populations under control, AND allows little ol' me to see these beautiful creatures up close! I have been shamefully coveting a pair of fox fur ear muffs for years, so I put an order in for a red fox, which to my glee are prolific that area.

3 comments:

Wadical said...

Like huntin' but hate guns......Hmmm, I'm still chewing on that.

HotRodHanna said...

Ok, I can see that was confusing. To clarify- I don't want to handle a gun, but I like to wear furs and eat meat. I wouldn't pass up an alligator handbag either.

Wadical said...

M-kay....we're clear now.