Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Long overdue update

I have been running around like crazy ever since I landed last Monday. Here is the recap on my trip. First off, I'm engaged to be married! Woohoo! There are times when I've been jumping up and down, others when I want to pull my hair out. Here's a pic of my ring, I absolutely love it. If you can't tell from the picture, it's actually square on the outside. Very unique. WK spied it first and I fell for it too. I think of the ring shopping we did together and how adorable he is every time I see it sparkle. [sheepish grin]

(I can't get that ring pic to straighten out! Grrr. ) Here's the thing... We bought the ring a month or so ago, but we couldn't say anything about it! So we started our covert planning a while ago, picking a date, venue, bridal party, colors etc. But it's been killing me that I couldn't say anything! Little by little, I confess, I leaked details to family members, some by accident! in my defense. So we both new that this trip in September would be the 'engagement' trip, but to WK's credit, he was still able to surprise me when he popped the question! He asked me in the car on the way home from A&J's wedding. So no, he didn't get down on one knee- that would have been hazardous. However, when he said I was the only girl he's ever wanted, I almost cried. Grandpa's reaction was "Oh! You finally got that piece of carbon!" Spoken like a true geophysicist, and gave us a good laugh.

(Gotta love photoshop!) The 'event' as WK refers to it, is set for this coming January. And yes, this is the cause of the scrambling. According to all the bridal guides I am behind the ball right now. There are so many little (and big) things to do, its a bit overwelming even for me! The guest list is the biggest headache so far. Trying to have a small wedding is HARD. It down right stinks! I wish I didn't have to worry about it. It can't be helped though, WK and I are putting this on and we just can't afford to invite everyone we want to be there. So at the end of the day, some feelings will be hurt. I'm hoping the guilt will pass, and looking at the 5 and 6 day weeks I'm working to foot the bill helps. I have a hard time doing something that I know will offend some people even when I know I don't have a choice. Who gets cut? Someone I have worked next to for the past 6 years? a distant relative that keeps in touch? a couple I see each week at church? Ug. Vegas? anyone? I am very lucky to be surrounded by generous friends and relatives who are contributing their talent, time and expertise which is a huge help. Without them, I don't think I could do everything I had been hoping to do at my wedding. So, over the next few months I will dumping all my planning excitement and frustrations here. Stay tuned... guarenteed action packed...

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Congratulations again! The ring is stunning! Gorgeous! I understand your feeling guilty about having to leave some people out. I felt the same way when my husband and I were getting married. What we ended up doing was inviting only our parents brothers and sisters. We had it in front of a beautiful fireplace with the minister and our folks. I have to tell you it was wonderful. Stress free. None of our friends could really feel bad, because no friends were invited. Afterwards we had a small dinner with just the family. I know that our friends felt left down, but we really did not have the money to afford paying for all our friends there. They evendually understood. In my mind this is a time between God and you. God is the only one that really has to be pleased.

Congrats! I am very happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Wonderful stuff.

ioi said...

Would it be any easier to just tell people it's a private wedding? Then you can invite your most immediate family, your few closest friends and then go back and add more extended family until you've met the number you think you can handle. If people understand it's a private wedding you'll probably end up with fewer offended. Of course you'll still end up with the ones that are offended that you had to have a private wedding! But there's no way to make everyone completely happy. Besides... in 5 years it will be the last thing anyone's thinking of.

Rebecca said...

What about inviting everyone you want to the wedding and having a private reception, since the wedding is the most important part, but the reception is the most expensive part...Or do what Chris and I did since we could not afford to feed a bunch of people; we had the wedding later in the evening (after the dinner hour) and then the reception invite said, "Please join us after the wedding for desserts and dancing." It was soooo much fun and less formal and desserts were so much cheaper than a full meal. Most of all remember it is you and WK's special day and everyone who cares about you guys will understand any choices you make. Good luck and again Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

Stacey said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!! You guys are a beautiful couple.
I am so happy for you!
It looks like you found one of the 5% of guys who isnt a douche bag!!
(I am going through a "guys are douche bags" kick in case nobody noticed.)
But yeah. I am so happy for you guys! Good luck with the wedding planning.