Sunday, July 30, 2006

DUI checkpoint

Why is it that people don't have any fear or respect for traffic laws? The number of people driving around with a suspended license (or none at all) is staggering. In 6 hours of working a DUI checkpoint, we arrested 4 people for DUI, cited 5 for having a suspended licence, and 22 for being unlicensed. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE? It's no wonder we have so many accidents on the road. No one knows how to drive!#!@# They obviously have no regard for the consequences because their history usually shows numerous cites for the same offense. That annoys just me as much as people that don't have insurance. I have to pay for it, everybody else should too! What makes them think the rules don't apply to them? We give them a slap on the wrist, they wait for the officers to clear, then away they go again. Ridiculous. My head is killing me and my hands ache. Non stop radio traffic, and we barely could get air time to give back their returns.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

20 years ago, a driver's license showed that you were capable of driving. You took the written and street tests and were issued a license. The insurance companies insure licensed drivers.

Now the driver's license is a "legal resident" card, and even if you can drive, you won't get one unless you are here legally. So, undocumented residents can not get a driver's license even if they want one. ... And without a driver's license, you can't get insurance.

There are a lot of undocumented residents that would love to get a driver's licence and pay for insurance.

I'd love to go back 20 years and have the driver's license mean that you are licensed to drive. Period.

Let the federal government issue the legal resident identification card.

My two cents.

be gooding

Rebecca said...

I agree, it is soooo frustrating. When I worked at Huge PD down near the Mexican Border, it was sooooo much worse. I feel ya girlfriend!

Rebecca said...

PS. I meant I agreed with HotRodHanna, just to clarify :)

TimsBlogs II said...

Enjoying your blog. Frustrating to me that people don't respect the law today and unfortunately many will have a rude awakening on Judgment Day before God because they will still be in their sins.