Monday, June 26, 2006

Little Piggies

Saturday night I was blessed with an invitation to the annual camp prayer mtg. Anyone that has heard of them, also knows of the feasting that preceeds the actual prayer part. We arrived at 5:30 to scrumptious smells and sweet punch. People continued to arrive until 8 or so and we had a chance to visit with friends from afar, some I hadn't seen in a while. I offered to help in the kitchen (dont laugh!) but kept getting shoo'd out. So, I gave up and fell comfortably into my non-productive mood. Tables were set in the backyard, that is overgrown (in a good way) with luscious green plants, palm trees, huge hydrangeas, rose bushes, etc . You feel like your at a exclusive garden party somewhere. The food was outstanding, as usual. Salad topped with everything under the sun, fat juicy steaks, potatoes, rice, breads, grilled vegies, TWO kinds of cheesecake with huge strawberries and whipped cream. Our hosts were slaving away in the kitchen and never did sit down and eat. I felt guilty seeing that them devote themselves wholly to serving us and wouldn't even relax enough to enjoy it themselves. After I thanked them profusely for the scrumptious meal and attentive service, the hostess was still apologizing for this and that. I was sadened that she didnt seem to accept compliments on a tremendous achievement (a gourmet meal for 17 or so), and could only find things that went wrong. She has such a loving heart and a care for the saints, I wish she wouldnt be so hard on herself. So, after nearly 2 hours of feasting, and 3 cups of coffee, we rooolled inside. We sang a few songs and read some verses. The recurring theme of feeding the sheep was appropriate for the evening. There were earnest prayers for those that would be attending, if just one kid can be encouraged it makes it worthwhile. We made it home at 1:30am tired, content.... and about 3 lbs heavier.

1 comment:

Kedge said...

1:30! We barely made it by 2:00!! After she 'blessed' us with the REST of the cheesecakes. Broks got the chocolate half and I got the vanilla HALF! Oh goody. oink, oink. My bro asked if I'd saved him any New York steak? Sure, it's in the fridge, come on down! "That's cold." he said. (no pun intended)