Wednesday, December 17, 2008

From Facebook

Just to keep those of you on this forum thingy updated, here are some posts from my Facebook page:

Monday
I am having a good visit with my family out in CA, but I have been sick the whole time. I started out the trip thinking it was just a passing cold, which I attributed to our recent cold weather. However, when I landed in Phoenix, and again in Orange County, I thought my eardrums were going to explode. Everything sounded like I was with plugged ears off and on (mostly on). I sound funny, and am starting to get a bad cough. I was able to find another flight going out Thursday morning (I was supposed to fly home Tues) so hopefully I will be a little less congested by then. I have an appointment with my old family doctor in Hemet on Tues, so maybe he can hook me up with ear drops or something. I just worry about causing permanent damage to my ears! So, at the moment I am sniffling over my mother's computer. My sister, mom and I are going to hit the craft store, so that should make me feel somewhat better I'm sure... I'm really sorry about missing Weds night ladies!! I wish I could be there.

Tuesday
This sloshy feeling in my ears is NOT my brain liquifying, as some might imagine. I can tell you it is a freaky feeling tilting my head from one shoulder to the other and feeling fluid moving around in my ears, but nothing comes out! I went to see the doctor who validated my concerns about flying. He said the membrane in my ear that is suppose to look like a sail fluttering in the breeze, is concave, red and rigid. Hmmm. He concurred that if I had flown today, I would very likely have burst my eardrums. He likened it to ear trauma divers get from surfacing too fast. (I suppose ascending and descending 30,000 ft. three times in a day, with already swollen ear drums may have caused a leeeetle damage. So, in order to attempt Thursdays flight without incurring more pain and suffering, I was given a cortizone shot, Nazonex to take at night, Singulair at night, Allegra once a day. Then every 4 hours I am to take a double dose of Sudafed, and Ibuprofen. I hope I can keep it all straight. But it is encouraging to know that I was not just imagining things, and this was a serious problem.

4 comments:

The Chatty Housewife said...

Oh I am so sorry! Something similar happened to me (with the ears) when I was younger and I can remember losing a lot of my hearing for a day or two. Scary!

Get well soon!

Glenda Conner said...

Oh my word girl - you had better take a week off and put your feet up!!

Mary said...

Wow, that sounds really bad, good thing you were able to get in to the doctor! Hope you get better before your flight!

11 said...

Hey, I couldn't find your email and was wondering if I could ask you some questions about your former position as a 911 dispatcher. My email is mishimact@gmail.com.
I am thinking about applying...

Thanks