Sunday, April 22, 2007

New things

I tackled bread making this week! Not successfully, mind you, but at least I tried. I am having problems getting it to rise properly, so this week I'm adding more yeast to see if that helps. I have a few more things to try if that doesn't work. 3 inch high loaves aren't helpful for sandwiches, but Hubby loves it with his dinners.

I have found that allrecipes.com is soooo cool! I can type in something like 'chicken casserole' and scroll through all the recipes till I find one that has ingredients that I have on hand. Love it. Also, this little magazine is a handy helper too. Its FREE! Just go online to kraftfoods.com/free to sign up. Sure, its a thick advertisement for Kraft foods, but its full of fast, easy and tasty recipes. And if you want to use the name brand ingredients, that's up to you!

Also, we went to Hubby's cousin Kenny's wedding on Saturday. Beautiful day for a wedding, it's finally looking like spring! I could finally get out my strapy sandals too! The bridesmaids were wearing knee length strapless slate-navy blue dresses with light pink sashes. I'd never seen those colors work together so well before. Their bouquets were pink roses and wax flowers framed with broad leaf greenery, and looked really beautiful. The dinner reception was at a hotel in Cape May right on the beach, and we were privy to stunning sunset. Ahhhhh... tis the season for love.
Speaking of which, my mother is getting married in TWO weeks! Cinco de Mayo is the day! She sounds happy but busy busy, as usual.

8 comments:

ioi said...

What kind of recipes are you using?
Sometimes if the water that the yeast is dissolved in it too hot it will kill the yeast and result in poor or no rising. You can also add an extra tsp or half tsp of sugar to your yeast mixture. Mixing in glass or plastic sometimes helps the yeast not to go 'flat' the same way a metal mixing bowl can. And see if you can get your hands on a copy of Sunset's Bread books. They're wonderful. Let me know if you want some recipes.

HotRodHanna said...

Those are good tips! Thanks! In thinking about it, I have been using hot water. Oops.

The Chatty Housewife said...

You should be using warm water. And store your yeast in the refrigerator, not the cupboard or the freezer. Make sure to let it sit somewhere slightly warm (not cold, not really warm) until you think it is the size you would like it. I would let mine sit an hour or more if it looked like it needed it, depending on the temperature inside the house.

familymclean said...

Wow, you are brave. Baking bread is something I have never attempted, seems a little testy. Good luck though, hope it gets better.

Those craft magazines are something I swear by on a daily basis, the perfect 'mommy with no time' recipes. And they are so yummy!

Kedge said...

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

familymclean said...

I just realized something. Your magazine (which has the same cover and is published by kraft) has a different name up here. It's called 'What's Cooking', I wonder why? That's wierd.

Anonymous said...

I've borrowed Susie's Bread Machine and am having a great time making Pumpernickel with rye flour, cocoa and instant coffee granules and molasses. I too, had problems with using water too hot so it killed the yeast. The bread tasted fine, but was kinda flat. Last Saturday I made French bread. It was good, but crumbly. I've used the dough cycle and then make mini sweet rolls(sticky buns) for Sunday Morning Break. Another hint: Keep the works out of any draft or coolness.

Flutterbot said...

Have you ever been to www.recipezaar.com? its similar to all recipes.

cheers!
Flutter