Sunday, January 06, 2008

A Day No Mice Would Die

Was not today. After many days of being tormented with snap traps licked clean without being sprung, and several days of empty sticky traps, today was the day we found our little friend. The bad part was that he was actually kind of cute. Little gray fellow with a white stripe on his head. Not at all the menacing creature I expected to find. But it was very sad to see his feet stuck on a sticky trap and him trying desperately to get free. If it weren't for Hubby's aversion to mice I would have called him to dispose of the poor thing so I wouldn't have to see it suffer. Can you tell I miss all of the pets we had? I would have put him in a cage and kept him, but Hubby would have been grossed out. So, we made a compromise. I would 'take care' of the live mouse in the cupboard, and he agreed to dispose of any and all arachnoids in the house from now on. So without a good reason to have him boil water, I had him empty the upstairs trash while I took care of things. I don't think I've ever had to kill a small animal on purpose. Well ok , I did shoot at a few squirrels but I don't think I ever actually killed any of them. So anyhoo, I packaged the little guy up in an opaque bag and into the big garbage bag with Hubby then promptly took out. A sad day, but hopefully the last we see of mice droppings. Ew.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you take the opportunity to point out the usefulness of some cats in such situations? ;-) I love you!

HotRodHanna said...

I did!! Erika even offered to 'loan' me her cat for a few days. That would have been really cool.

Mandy said...

Ugh, don't you hate that! We had one in our pantry and that little bugger ate holes in about $100. worth of food. A little hole here a little hole there. It makes it a little easier to see him on the trap. In my case I got caught throwing him away by Brock. He looked at me with these big sad eyes and said " Ah mom, why are you throwing away that cute little mouse that's sleeping on the wood". Oops!

Anonymous said...

SLEEPING ON THE WOOD, HAAAAAAAAHAHAHAAAA!

Beth said...

Hey I just read the comment you left on my blog! I'm so glad you have one too! It was good to see you and K&K's wedding, but I wish we could have talked more. Are you living in NJ?

Anonymous said...

Um yeah the snap traps are great until a live one gets caught in it..

For the snap traps wedge a peanut or pecan or something under the jaw and cover it with peanut butter..